The Renewable Energy & Ecological Design major is a unique, innovative program that integrates the study of energy and design in conjunction with the College’s Environmental Liberal Arts experience.
REED Majors & Minors
- Bachelor of Arts in Renewable Energy & Ecological Design
- Certificate in Renewable Energy & Ecological Design
- Catalog Program Description
A new generation of researchers, architects, engineers and builders is looking at the built environment in a whole new way. Excessive energy use and resource consumption are prompting these pioneers to reexamine how we design and build our homes and workplaces. If you are looking for opportunities in the emerging green economy, renewable energy and ecological design present exciting new playing fields. Green Mountain College’s new Renewable Energy and Ecological Design certification will help open doors.
You’ll learn about and apply ecological design strategies using both mind and hands, and develop a comprehensive understanding of energy use and the pathways to a clean energy future. The program’s interdisciplinary curriculum provides a high degree of flexibility, allowing students to develop a concentration in your area of interest.
Skills-focused classes in the well-equipped fabrication facility, design exploration in the dedicated studio, engaging internships, numerous field trips, and participation in real-world hands-on community projects are critical components of this major. As a graduate of the program, you will be equipped to use ecological design strategies, analyze renewable energy opportunities, and the skills to realize appropriate and meaningful solutions. Potential career paths included product design, residential design/build, small-scale renewable energy, utility-scale renewable energy, energy policy, as well as further study in related areas.
- Mentoring by expert GMC faculty and leading practitioners in the EcoDesign and renewable energy fields
- A hands-on curriculum that allows you to combine theoretical knowledge with engagement in real-world solutions
- Preparation for a variety of career and graduate school opportunities in renewable system installation, design/build companies and advocacy organizations.
Positive Energy NY, LLC
Courtney Heverly ‘15
Green Mountain Power Energy Innovation Center
Owen Spath ‘15
George Nakashima Woodworker
New Hope, Penn.
Brittany Alderman ‘15
Yale University Office of Facilities Planning and Construction
New Haven, Conn.
Mike Ellis ‘15
Allison Wadsworth ‘15
Human Resources Intern, ASAP Industries