If you like helping people and love the outdoors, Green Mountain College’s Wilderness & Outdoor Therapy program gives you the qualifications to work with mental health practitioners in delivering wilderness therapy programs.
Majors & Minors
- BA in Wilderness & Outdoor Therapy
- Minor in Wilderness & Outdoor Therapy
- Catalog Program Description
The outdoors is an ideal setting to help patients cope with mental health or behavioral challenges. Outdoor wilderness therapy is one of the fastest growing alternative venues for delivering mental health care because it allows therapists to remove patients from their everyday environment as they work on improving their mental health and well-being.
The major in Wilderness & Outdoor Therapy at Green Mountain College borrows from the field of psychology and outdoor education. It provides students with the theory that underlies counseling programs while giving them the necessary outdoor skills to successfully lead patients and keep them safe in the wilderness. After completing the requirements for this degree, graduates will be well qualified to work with certified mental health practitioners in the delivery of an outdoor or wilderness therapy program.
The successful student will:
- Be able to design and implement high-quality, non-technical wilderness therapy experiences
- Demonstrate knowledge of classical and contemporary theories of mental health and therapy
- Utilize empirical research and psychological theory as the basis for behavior modification plans
- Find opportunities for practical applications of their learning