Home > Admissions > Apply Online > International FAQs

International FAQs

What's the application procedure for international students? What are the deadlines?
Green Mountain College offers both Early Action and Rolling admissions. Early Action applications must be submitted by November 1 or January 2. Applicants are strongly encouraged to complete their applications in a timely manner. International students should expect the admissions and student visa process to take several months. Before an application for an international student can be reviewed, it must include a full record of documentation.  A list of required application documents can be found here.

There are no minimum requirements for international students who take the SAT or ACT. International students who opt to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) must score above 173 on the computer-based test above 61 on the internet-based test, or above 500 on the paper-based test.  International students who opt to take the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) must score above a band score of 5.0.

SAT Code: 3418
ACT Code: 4302
TOEFL Code: 3418
FAFSA Code: 003687
CSS Profile Code: 3418

Once an international student's application is complete the Admissions Office will review it and send an admissions decision electronically within 3 to 4 weeks.

Is the SAT or ACT required for international students?
International Students are encouraged to take the SAT or ACT, but students may opt to take the TOEFL or IELTS instead. No other standardized tests will be accepted in place of any of these tests.

What is the average financial aid package for international students? What are the deadlines?
The average institutional grant/scholarship for international students is $16,000. Although Green Mountain College is committed to rewarding international students with excellent academic records, you should be aware that we still expect you to contribute significantly to your own education. Scholarships are available from other outside sources, and we are willing to work with you to find other opportunities for financial assistance.

What is it like to live at Green Mountain College?
Green Mountain College is located in Poultney, Vermont, a rural historic town of 3,500 people in the beautiful Vermont countryside. Poultney is located in the northeastern part of the United States, situated about four hours north of New York City and three hours northwest of Boston. The weather in Vermont varies throughout the year: the average high temperature in January is -1 degree Celsius and the average high temperature in July is 16 degrees Celsius. Poultney receives an average of 170 centimeters of snowfall each winter.

Green Mountain's setting provides opportunities for a variety of outdoor activities and adventure programming, as well as cultural offerings in nearby cities. Our intimate, community centered campus makes students the priority. Personal attention and support from faculty and staff will make your transition to the United States a fun experience!

Applying for a Visa
The student visa application process can be very time consuming and so, it is imperative to begin the process early and to refer to the U.S. Embassy website in your country.

Visa Eligibility Form I-20
Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students is a three page document issued by a SEVP certified educational institution to a nonimmigrant applicant for entry into the U.S. in F-1 status. If you live outside the U.S., you will need to take the Form I-20 to the nearest U.S. Consulate in your country. Additional required documentation varies depending on the country. For that reason, prospective nonimmigrant students should check the consulate or embassy websites at www.usembassy.state.gov. Each has directions for nonimmigrants applying for a student visa.

If you are already in the U.S., Form I-20 may only be issued after the release date given to you by your previous school.

Don’t wait until the last minute! Students are encouraged to apply for their visas several weeks before their intended date of travel. Please note, students may not be issued a visa more than 120 days prior to the program start date noted on Form I-20. Also, you may be refused entry into the U.S. if you attempt to arrive more than 30 days before the program start date listed on Form I-20.

All applicants for a student visa must provide:
• Form I-20. Green Mountain College (GMC) will mail Form I-20 to you once you have been selected for admission and have decided to enroll and deposit. You also must demonstrate that you have adequate funds to cover all of your educational and living expenses. When you receive Form I-20, please double check your birth date, entry date, and the spelling of your given name and surname for accuracy. Also, be sure to read it and sign it in the designated space.

• A completed application, Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant, Form DS-156, together with a Form DS-158. Both forms must be completed and signed. Some applicants will also be required to complete and sign Form DS-157.

• One (1) 2x2 photograph.

• A passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the U.S.

• A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee, a visa issuance fee if applicable, and a separate SEVIS I-901 fee receipt.

All applicants should be prepared to provide:
• Financial evidence that shows you or your financial sponsor have adequate funds to cover your educational and living expenses during the period of your intended study. You may wish to bring a copy of the Certificate of Finance and International Student Financial Aid Application with supporting documents attached. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

• Scores from any standardized tests taken, such as ACT, SAT, IELTS, or TOEFL.

• Transcripts and diplomas from all institutions attended.

Making Travel Arrangements
Once you have your visa, you may begin to make travel arrangements. Remember to book flight tickets early! The earlier you purchase the ticket, the less expensive it will be. You will want to fly into Albany, NY (ALB). Amtrak train service is also available from Albany, NY or New York City to Castleton, VT, about 10 minutes from the GMC campus. Commuter flights from Boston, MA to Southern Vermont Regional Airport in Rutland, VT are another option.

The Albany International Airport (ALB) website www.albanyairport.com, as well as the Logan International Airport (BOS) website www.massport.com/logan both provide airline and flight information, toll-free numbers for reservations and baggage services, passenger services information, airport maps and transportation information. Albany International Airport is approximately 90 minutes from GMC.

Students Who Are Currently in the U.S.
You must have your current visa status verified by your current school and have them complete the Transfer I-20 Request Form. This form should not be completed until you have accepted your offer of admission to GMC.

© 2015 Green Mountain College | One Brennan Circle | Poultney, Vermont 05764 | 800-776-6675 | MyGMC Login | Email Login