Working in a college-level Adventure Education program, I help students to develop their passions into viable careers. In this role I draw on extensive field experience developed through a variety of professional positions and trainings. These experiences include teaching as a whitewater river instructor with the Colorado Outward Bound School, guiding whitewater rafts with Sheri Griffith Expeditions in Moab, Utah, and working as a river ranger with the United States Forest Service in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness, Idaho. Through these positions, I travelled thousands of river miles while introducing others to the outdoors, helping inexperienced groups develop into positive functioning teams, and interpreting the natural landscape.
Beyond river running, I have led numerous overland adventure education expeditions. My previous expeditions include 14 and 21-day backpacking outdoor leadership courses with the Wilderness Education Association as a certifying instructor, and extended backpacking and canoeing treks with both the Girl Scouts of the USA and Boy Scouts of America. I also directed an indoor climbing and high ropes course at SUNY Potsdam where I trained staff and developed operational guidelines, procedures, and risk management policies. While working at SUNY Potsdam, I taught college courses in the academic Wilderness Education Minor program.
Ph.D. University of Idaho, Conservation Social Sciences
M.S. Indiana University, Outdoor Recreation
B.A. State University of New York at Potsdam, Geology
- Leadership and Challenge Center Director: SUNY Potsdam, New York
- Wilderness Recreation Adjunct Faculty: SUNY Potsdam, New York
- Research Assistant: National Park Service visitor experience project, University of Idaho
- River Guide: Sheri Griffith Expeditions, Utah
- River Instructor: Colorado Outward Bound School, Utah
- Wilderness River Patrol: United States Forest Service, Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho
- Outdoor Leadership Instructor: Wilderness Education Association, locations varied
- Outdoor Education Specialist: Girl Scouts of Lake Erie Council, Ohio
- Voyageur Trek Guide: Boy Scouts of America, New York
- Snowmass Resort Snow-maker: Aspen Skiing Company, Colorado