Page 16-17 - Green Guide to Sustainable Living at GMC

Basic HTML Version

Currently we have two different systems of composting, regular compost bins
and vermiculture bins.
Regular Bins
Vermiculture Bins
Residence Hall Composting
All food waste and non-bleached
napkins can be put in the regular
bins. Compostable dining ware and
paper plates are not allowed in the
compost because the compost pile on
the farm does not get hot enough for
them to decompose, but they can be
recycled. All food scraps can be put in
a regular compost bin, making them
easier for residents to navigate, but
they require more upkeep from the
compost volunteer. There must be
at least two compost volunteers for
each residence hall bin who will have
to take the compost bin to the farm
and dump it out whenever the bin
gets full.
Vermiculture, also known as vermi-
composting or worm composting, is a
system that takes a regular compost
bin and uses not only microbes to turn
waste into fertilizer, but also worms. All
food excluding onions, garlic, egg shells,
dairy, meat, and citrus can be added
to a worm bin and the worms will eat
it up and turn it into fertilizer. All food
scraps must be cut into pieces no bigger
than your thumb before being added
to the bin, and paper scraps must also
be added after each addition of food
to prevent the bin from becoming to
moist. These bins require the compost
volunteer to do less foot work, but
there is far more educational outreach
required in places where this type of
bin is implemented.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Obtaining a Bin
Compost bins will be implemented and taken care of on a volunteer basis. If you would like a
regular compost bin or a worm bin in your residence hall feel free to email Aaron Witham, the
Sustainability Coordinator, or Nicole Harman, the Sustainability Office Manager; and also feel
free to stop by the Sustainability Office at Terrace 125.
It takes the participation of all students for a project like this to work, so please come by and
sign up for a bin, and be sure you are only putting the appropriate waste in the compost bins.
Special Wastes
Special and hazardous waste requires special disposal. Help minimize the hazards of toxic
waste that can contaminate groundwater in landfills. An Electronic, or E-waste box is located
on the first floor of the Griswold Library. E-waste boxes are also located in the second floor hub
of each dorm building. Here is what you can put in the E-waste box:
CDs and DVDs
Ink Cartridges
Small Electronics
The polycarbonate and metals in the discs themselves are separated and
reused, often as automotive or construction materials. Make sure these
materials do not go in a land fill.
Green House Gas (GHG) emissions from manufacturing a single monotone
cartridge have been calculated to approximately 4.8 kg CO2; per cartridge.
Each year over 350 million cartridges are thrown into landfills.
Batteries contain lead, cadmium, and mercury which permeate into the
soil, groundwater, and surface water through landfills and also release
toxins into the air. Lead is a poisonous metal that can damage nervous
connections (especially in young children) and cause blood and brain
disorders. Please put tape on each end of the batteries so they don’t
corrode and leak acid.
Small electronics including cell phones, electric clocks, wires, laptops,
tablets, etc. can be refurbished, reused, used for parts, or turned into
other electronics. Many parts (especially touch screens) take hundreds of
thousands of years to disintegrate in a landfill and often end up harming
wildlife and marine life.