To: GMC Students, Parents, Faculty and Staff
From: Kevin Coburn, Director of Communications
As Hurricane Sandy moves up the eastern seaboard, we will be monitoring the storm closely to ensure the safety of all individuals on the GMC Campus. Students, Staff, Faculty and family members should consult the GMC home page as we will use this along with the GMC Facebook for updates posted when appropriate.
Monday, October 29, 2012 5:40 p.m.
As Hurricane Sandy moves up the eastern seaboard, we are monitoring the storm closely and aligning our resources through our Emergency Response Plan Framework to ensure safety of all individuals on the GMC campus.
Winds from Hurricane Sandy are predicted to be strongest in the Poultney area shortly after 8:00 p.m. tonight. Please limit your time outside, particularly on the roads. Falling tree limbs and possible power outages may create high risk situations.
Resident Assistants will maintain a fire-watch though out the night if we lose power (lights). Emergency lights in the residence halls have a very limited life span. Please plan to charge your electronic devices now.
Campus Security and Residence Life staff will be doing safety rounds on campus. Call Campus Security at 8911 only if you are faced with an emergency. We need to keep emergency lines open.
We will send out additional updates as more information becomes available. The following are important information items at this time:
For further information related to the GMC Campus Emergency Response Plan consult:
- 8 a.m. classes for tomorrow (Tuesday) are canclled. Classes will resume as scheduled at 9:30.
- We are planning for the possibility of power outages. Everyone should check that flashlights, cell phones and electronics are fully charged and in working order. In the event of power outages that disrupt web or cell phone service, the College will place signage around all buildings and updates become available.
- Students, staff, faculty and family members should consult the GMC home page as we will use this along with the GMC Facebook for updates posted when appropriate.
- Emails will also be sent to the campus community regarding any appropriate safety precautions.
- In the event of any emergency the College will utilize the Rave Alert emergency notification system. If students or their parents have not registered for the Rave alert system, they should sign up through MyGMC: /mygmc.greenmtn.edu/ICS/GMC_Forms/ (must be logged in to register).
- Travel is strongly discouraged during the storm.
- All students on the Poultney campus are encouraged to move their cars off the lower parking lot and away from trees by noon today. Please use the upper parking lots including the commuter parking areas until further notice.
- Employees should contact their supervisors if they have a particular concern and we ask supervisors to show flexibility.