Scenes of Green Mountain College
Home > Student Life > Student Handbook > Off Campus Housing Policy

Off Campus Housing Policy

Green Mountain College is committed to the social and academic benefits of being a four- year residential College. As a residential institution, Green Mountain College requires all full-time students to live on-campus in the residence halls. In years when enrollment exceeds housing capacity, some students may be granted off-campus status. Students who are granted off-campus status are advised to read leases carefully and be mindful of their own liability when renting an off-campus residence. Students are encouraged to seek insurance coverage for their belongings, should they not be covered under their parents’ homeowners policy. Students who meet the Age, Local Resident, or Married criteria outlined below must notify the Director of Residence Life prior to April 1st of their intention to reside off-campus the following academic year.

Students who have not been granted off-campus status are advised against signing a lease agreement for an off-campus residence. The Department of Residence Life will not recognize pre-arranged leases when determining the approval of an off-campus housing request.

Living Off Campus Eligibility

Any student who will be at least 23 years of age by September 1 of the current academic year is exempt from the residential policy.

Local Resident

A "local resident" must reside in either Rutland County, Vermont, or Washington County, New York, for a minimum of one calendar year prior to requesting to live off-campus. Proof may be requested to verify residency which includes, but is not limited to, valid driver's license, motor vehicle registration, voter's registration, utilities receipts, rent receipts, tax records, or verification from a primary family member (defined as parent or legal guardian or spouse) that the student has lived in one of these counties for at least one calendar year. All incoming new students who meet this criterion must notify the Director of Residence Life of their intention to live off campus.


Any student who is legally married is exempt from the mandatory residential housing policy. Proof in the form of a valid marriage certificate may be requested by the Director of Residence Life to verify the marriage. All other legal arrangements, including domestic partnerships and civil unions, do not qualify under this policy and may be reviewed by the Director of Residence Life.

Off Campus Requests

"Off campus housing request are reviewed on an annual basis during the spring term. Students who would like to be considered for off-campus residential status for the following academic year must submit an off-campus housing petition to Vice President of Student Life Joe Petrick at no later than April 10, 2015. "

Approving Exceptions

In the event that the occupancy numbers permit and on a limited space-available basis, the Director of Residence Life will evaluate student petitions that do not meet the Age, Local Resident or Married requirements based on the following criteria:

Attendance at off-campus informational meeting
  • Seniority determined by class standing
  • Age
  • GPA
  • Student conduct record
All criteria listed above will be taken into consideration in evaluating the petition.

Exceptions Based on Disabilities
All students, including students with disabilities, are required to reside on campus. Students requesting off campus status as a reasonable accommodation for a documented disability must make that request through the College's disability disclosure process at the Calhoun Learning Center. The Coordinator of Accommodations in the Calhoun Learning Center will assist the Director of Residence Life in a decision regarding the student's housing status. Housing accommodations for students with disabilities can usually be met within the on campus housing environment.

Part-time Status
Students enrolled in less than eleven credit hours that have at any time enrolled full time at the College must petition to the Director of Residence Life to either live on or off campus. Permission to live on or off campus while a student is enrolled in less than eleven credit hours is granted for that particular semester only. The student must petition for each subsequent semester he/she is enrolled as a part-time student. The College reviews class schedules of all part-time students at the conclusion of drop-add week; if any student released to live off campus for this reason is found to be enrolled at full-time status at this time, their off campus release will be revoked.

© 2015 Green Mountain College | One Brennan Circle | Poultney, Vermont 05764 | 800-776-6675 | MyGMC Login | Email Login