Scenes of Green Mountain College
Home > Student Life > Student Handbook > Residence Life > Residence Hall Policies and Expectations

Residence Hall Policies and Expectations

Housing Contract Terms and Conditions

In general, no pets are allowed in the residence halls except fish in an aquarium of 10 gallons or less, while dogs are generally allowed on campus grounds (while on leashes) or in offices (with prior supervisor approval).

Exceptions to our general policy will be made when an animal is necessary to accommodate Green Mountain College students, faculty and staff with certain physical disabilities or psychological needs. All accommodations must respect the rights of other members of our educational community and the welfare of animals. The primary mission of the College to educate students will guide policy in this area.

Animal: Status: Size Restrictions: Breed & Species Restrictions: Age Restrictions:
Dog Service None None Passed Certification
Dog Therapy Less than 40 lbs. No aggressive breeds * Over 1 year old
Cat Therapy Less than 15 lbs. No exotic breeds Over 1 year old
Bird N/A N/A All breeds restricted N/A
Aquatic Therapy

Tank less than 10 gallons

No exotic/dangerous breeds (i.e. piranhas)


Small Caged Mammals


Cage No Larger than 16' sq.

No hedgehogs Must be full-
* Restricted breeds due to aggressive behavior: pitbulls; akitas; German shepherds; any wolf hybrid

Expectations, Rights, and Responsibilities Related to Having Animals on Campus:

Expectation of Care & Supervision:
1. The animal will be the full responsibility of the individual and the owner must be consistently in control of the animal. If the animal is not under control, disruptive, or poses a risk to the health or safety of others, then the individual may be asked to remove the animal.

2. The animal must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered when not in the owner’s private residence or office, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls. Exceptions may be granted in a situation when the animal is in the owner’s private residence, when the animal needs to perform a task requiring it to travel beyond the length of the restraint, or when the owner is unable to retain an animal on a leash due to a disability.

3. Campus Security Officers must be able to enter all rooms on campus without threat of harm. Any animal that threatens an officer attempting to enter a campus room in the line of duty will be removed from campus.

4. The owner is responsible for removing or arranging for the bagging of the animal’s waste according to guidelines established by Green Mountain College.

5. Individuals will be responsible for any damage that is caused by their animals including cost for treating parasitic infestations.

6. Green Mountain College has the authority to remove an animal from its grounds or facilities if the animal becomes unruly or disruptive, unclean, and/or unhealthy to the extent that the animal’s behavior or condition poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, or otherwise causes a fundamental alteration in the College’s services, programs, or activities.

7. Animals are not allowed in College bathrooms or shower facilities unless required as a service animal.

8. Owners of the animals will hang a sign on their room door notifying their neighbors of the presence of the type of animal that is present in the room.

According to Vermont law, any dog that has reached a proper level of maturity must be licensed and must display a license on its collar at all times.

Animals on campus must have an annual clean bill of health (including vaccinations and immunity shots against rabies and/or other diseases common to the type of animal) that is signed by a licensed veterinarian. A valid vaccination tag must be worn by the animal at all times. Owners need to make sure that the animal is kept clean as possible. Regular bathing/grooming and pest control measures also need to be performed by the owner.

Procedural Steps for a Service or Therapy Animals in College Housing
A request to have a therapy animal in campus housing is considered a request for accommodation. The process begins by the student downloading the form from the MyGMC page for the Calhoun Learning Center, called the “Housing Accommodation Request Form.” e4d0-428e-a615-3b29dec02d6d

This form will be completed by a licensed medical doctor or licensed mental health professional and submitted to the Coordinator for Accommodations who works in the Calhoun Learning Center. This office will communicate with the Director of Residence Life for necessary information and guidance. The Director of Residence Life will make the decision regarding the accommodation.

All such requests should be made annually with at least a 30 days’ notice and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Individuals making such requests must have a letter or prescription from an appropriate professional (licensed medical doctor or therapist) that establishes that the support animal is medically or psychologically necessary for the student to be successful at the college and demonstrates a relationship between the student’s ability to function and the companionship/support of the animal.

The therapeutic needs of the person requesting an accommodation will be a weighing consideration. Other factors taken in consideration in this accommodation request will include, but will not be limited to, public safety, public health, ecosystem health, and the welfare of the therapy animal in the specific residential setting. Documentation should be forwarded to the Calhoun Learning Center ( disabilities.aspx). The Calhoun Learning Center is the designated office for implementing the appropriate provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 by coordinating reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.

Service Animal
Service animals are defined under the 2010 revised requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act as “dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities” ( animals 2010.htm). As of March 15, 2011, only dogs are defined as service animals. Disabilities include, but are not limited to, physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Examples might include pulling a wheelchair, assisting during a seizure, alerting to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability, and preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors.

In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which set the relevant standards for the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, individuals with disabilities may use service animals in any public area unless doing so would pose a danger to the health or safety of others or cause undue burden. Individuals with disabilities who use a service animal on campus are not required but strongly encouraged to register with the Calhoun Learning Center.

Individuals who wish to have a service animal in student housing must make a formal request for this accommodation.

Therapy Animal
Therapy animals are defined under the Fair Housing Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as any animal prescribed by a licensed mental health-care professional as necessary in the treatment of a diagnosed condition. These animals are not required to undergo specialized training. Therapy animals are not the same as service animals in that they are not individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. A request to have a therapy animal in campus housing is considered a request for accommodation and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Athletic and Recreational Equipment
The use of athletic or recreational equipment or any other potentially dangerous or damaging equipment is prohibited in the residence halls, unless approved by the Department of Residence Life. Athletic and recreational equipment are permitted to be used outside as long as the use does not disturb or threaten the safety and well being of others or College property.

Audio Equipment
Audio Equipment must be used in such a manner that the sound will not disturb other students or interfere with the interests or standards of the College community. Students are required to comply with reasonable requests from their fellow residents, members of the Residence Life staff, and Security regarding noise issues.

Window fans are not permitted in residence hall windows and students are prohibited from opening windows in residence halls when the outside temperature is below 40 degrees F.

I. Definitions and host responsibility
(a) Guests are defined as any individuals who are not contracted residents of the specific room, community, or building in question.
(b) Each guest must have a host and/or be escorted while in the building - including common areas and lounges. Persons who are not residents may be asked to leave the building unless they are able to demonstrate they are guests of a resident of the hall or on business related to the university or its faculty, staff, or students.
(c) Guests will be expected to comply with all college regulations and policies.
(d) The host will be responsible for their own behavior as well as the behavior of his or her guest(s). Guests of residents may be required to leave if they are violating policies, damaging property, or show the potential to cause harm to themselves or others.

Hunting Equipment and Weapons
All weapons including, but not limited to rifles, shotguns, handguns, ammunition, paintball guns, bows/arrows, BB guns, mace, and swords are prohibited on campus except as noted herein. All such hunting related items brought to campus must be properly registered with the Department of Campus Security and stored in a locked safe in the Campus Security Office. Registered hunting equipment must be signed out for off-campus use and then returned and signed in for storage in accordance with the written guidelines available in the Campus Security Office. Students who register firearms or other hunting equipment must present a certificate of completion of a Hunter's/Firearms Safety Course or possess a valid hunting license. The Campus Security Office will confiscate any unregistered hunting equipment or weapons from students who are found in possession of these items. Students who have previously been found responsible for conduct violations may have the privilege of registering hunting equipment denied.

Objects of any kind may not be thrown from campus building windows. It is against policy to sit in an open window sill and/or lean out of the open window, due to safety concerns.

Bicycles, Skateboards, Scooters and Rollerblades
Bicycle racks are provided throughout campus. During the winter season, it is recommended that students take their bicycles home or place them in storage. If left on campus, all bicycles must be tagged and brought to the appropriate storage area of the student's residence hall. It is strongly suggested that students bring a lock and have their names engraved or printed on the bicycle as identification. Bicycles and other items may not be left in the hallways, kitchen hubs, or lounges at any time for safety reasons, and the College is not responsible for the theft of such items. The College reserves the right to remove unattended items that are left in hallways, kitchen hubs, or lounges. In addition, bicycles or other modes of transportation (i.e. skateboards, scooters) may not be used inside any building. See the College's Skateboard Policy for applicable procedures for outdoor skating.

Bicycle Policy
All students who wish to keep a bicycle on campus must register their bicycle through the office of Campus Security. A decal will be given to the student free of charge which must be displayed prominently on the bicycle’s frame. Students have seven (7) days from the start of each semester to register their bicycle with Campus Security. After seven (7) days Campus Security will begin confiscating unregistered bicycles. Once a bicycle has been confiscated a $10.00 fine will be assessed and the owner has seven (7) days after the date of confiscation to claim the bicycle. If the bicycle is not claimed within seven (7) days of confiscation Campus Security will consider this a forfeiture of ownership and may dispose of the bicycle. For your convenience bicycle racks can be found in various locations on campus. These racks are the only approved locations to store and lock your bicycle. If a bicycle is found stored or locked in any other area, Campus Security reserves the right to remove your bicycle, which may include the cutting of bicycle locks. Bicycle safety is ultimately the responsibility of the owner. Campus Security is not liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged bicycles.

Students are prohibited from propping open residence hall exit doors, egress doors, or interior fire doors.

Fire Prevention: Equipment & Control
All residence hall rooms are equipped with a hard-wired smoke detector with battery back up. Students are required to report any smoke detector that is not operating correctly to their RA or Campus Security immediately. Students must evacuate buildings during fire alarms in accordance with the procedures outlined in Appendix V. Tampering with fire equipment or falsely pulling a fire alarm will result in student conduct charges as outlined in the Student Conduct Code.

Furnishings & Equipment
Every room is furnished with a study desk or table, chairs, bed, chest of drawers, bookcase, and closet space. Students must provide draperies, carpet, pillows, blankets, spreads, bed linens, and towels. Furniture can only be removed from a residential room to accommodate a medical or accommodation request approved by the Director of Residence Life in conjunction with the Coordinator of Accommodations. If furniture is removed from a room without approval a student may be charged a replacement fee for the removed furniture.

Hall Sports
Any physical sporting activity (ball sport, water-balloon toss, running in hallway, etc.) is not permitted in the halls due to the potential damage of property and disturbance of other residents. Sports intended for outdoor play should be directed toward designated areas on campus.

Prohibited Items
The following items and activities are not allowed within the residence halls and prohibited items may be confiscated:
  • Electrical equipment with exposed heating elements, such as hot plates, halogen lamps, toasters, and sun lamps
  • Air conditioners
  • More than one heavy-duty extension cord per room
  • Tapestries may not be hung from the ceiling. They may be hung from walls in such a manner as not to interfere with fire detection, evacuation, and safety
  • Any item possible of creating an open flame (i.e. candles, candles without wicks, oil lamps). Students are not permitted to burn incense, burn herbs ("smudging"), cones, or other similar items in residence halls
  • Antennas may not be affixed to the exterior of the residence halls.
  • Waterbeds
  • Alcoholic-Beverage bars
  • Bottle caps in lampshades
  • Students are allowed to use blue painter’s tape or poster putty to hang posters. Staples, nails, hooks, masking tape, scotch tape, duct tape, thumb-tacks, etc., are not allowed, nor is painting or writing on the walls or ceilings. Students will be charged for returning the walls and ceiling to their original (starting from student's occupancy date) state. The painting of residence hall rooms is not permitted.

Several residence halls have formal lounges in addition to the kitchen hubs on each floor. The furniture in either of these areas may not be removed or relocated, unless previously approved by the Department of Residence Life. It is not permitted to sleep overnight in any of the lounges and or hubs.

Restricted Areas
Students are prohibited from going on or into residence hall balconies, roofs, attics, fire escapes (except in emergencies), and crawl spaces above ceilings. Students are prohibited from entering locations that are closed and/or locked. Students are not permitted in unauthorized areas including, but not limited to, maintenance rooms, boiler rooms, mechanical rooms, elevator rooms/shafts, roofs, balconies, ledges and storage rooms/ areas.

Green Mountain College is largely smoke-free - that is, smoking is prohibited from all campus vehicles and campus buildings. In addition, smoking is prohibited on College grounds except in certain designated areas.

Map of Designated Smoking Locations:

Quiet and Courtesy Hours
Quiet Hours in the residence halls and surrounding grounds are Sunday through Thursday, 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. and Friday and Saturday, midnight to noon. Between the Monday of the last week of classes and through the end of final exams, a 24-hour quiet rule is maintained in all residence halls.

Courtesy hours are in effect 24-hours a day. Students should approach noise disturbances with a request to keep the noise level down. If assistance is still needed, the student should contact a Resident Assistant or the Campus Security Office to enforce the policy.

Residence Hall Security
To prevent the intrusion of unauthorized persons, and for the safety of the occupants, residence halls are locked at all times, with the exception of Ames and Bogue Hall during normal business hours. Access to the residence halls is granted to authorized personnel and students. Questions regarding access should be addressed to the Campus Security Office. The College will not assume responsibility for damaged, lost or stolen items. It is each resident's responsibility to lock his/her room to protect valuables and enhance personal security. The College recommends the Personal Property Insurance Coverage through CSI Insurance Agency or use of your renter's policy.

Room Entry and Search Procedures
As a private institution, designated Green Mountain College staff members have the absolute right to enter any residential room to address maintenance concerns, conduct routine health and safety checks, and initiate room searches if warranted. Entrance into residence hall rooms is classified at three levels:

1. General Entry: A 24-hour notice will be given via email or residence hall postings for the following:
  • periodic health and safety inspections
  • fire alarm inspections
2. Routine Maintenance: By requesting a maintenance repair, a student has granted permission for a member of the Facilities Department to come into the room and make the repair. In addition, Facilities personnel may enter your room to verify damages or to perform other maintenance services. In most instances, written notice will be left for the student. Questions regarding this procedure may be directed to Residence Life staff.
3. Probable Cause (investigative entry): Entry into a room based on a reasonable suspicion of violations that are determined by staff members in Residence Life or Campus Security:
  • Unauthorized entry by a person other than the resident of the room
  • Theft
  • Sexual Misconduct
  • Possible Violation of local, state or federal laws
  • Alcohol
  • Pets
  • Smoking
  • Unregistered guests/missing persons
  • Violation of the network acceptable use policy
  • Noise
  • Drugs
  • Endagerment of persons relating to mental/physical illness, sexual assault or other assault, alcohol or drug-related illness
  • Disruptive conduct/aggressive behavior
  • Fire Safety
  • Misuse or tampering with emergency equipment
  • Weapons and/or fireworks
  • Hazing
  • Emergency Maintenance repairs
  • General courtesy issues (such as alarms, stereos or other items causing a disturbance for the community when there has been no response by the occupant)

© 2015 Green Mountain College | One Brennan Circle | Poultney, Vermont 05764 | 800-776-6675 | MyGMC Login | Email Login