Home > Student Life > Student Handbook > Student Conduct Code > Appeals
The College's appeals system operates within strict guidelines regarding grounds of appeal. Regardless of the method of original adjudication, the appeals process is as follows:
Grounds for Appeal
For a case to merit appeal, one of the following criteria must be met:
* a procedural irregularity so substantial as to have likely altered the outcome of the meeting
* new information that could not have been known or brought forward at the time of the meeting that is so substantial as to have likely altered the outcome of the meeting
* a sanction that is grossly out of line with the violation
Options Available to the Appellate Officers
* affirm the finding of responsibility and/or sanction
* affirm the finding of responsibility but alter or reduce the sanction if deemed appropriate given the information presented by the appeal
* alter or reduce the sanction if the original sanction is grossly out of line with the violation
* remand the decision back to the original adjudicating Student Life staff member or Judicial Review Board in the case of new information or procedural error
* take other action deemed appropriate in the discretion of the appellate officer.
The Process of Appeal
1. A student has seven (7) business days following written notification of sanctions to present a formal written appeal to the appropriate appellate officer or the Judicial Review Board (see below) that includes the grounds for appeal and the substantive relevant information.
2. The appellate officer reviews the appeal and makes a decision based on the options outlined above.
3. The appellate officer notifies the student in writing of his/her decision within seven (7) days of receipt of the formal written appeal.
4. The decision of the appellate officer is final and not subject to appeal.
1. The Director of Residence Life is the appellate officer for decisions rendered by a Community Director.
2. The Vice President of Student Life is the appellate officer for decisions rendered by the Director of Residence Life.
3. The Vice President of Student Life is the appellate officer for decisions rendered by the Conduct Review Board.
4. The President is the appellate officer for suspension and expulsion decisions rendered by the Vice President of Student Life.