Our lives at Green Mountain College (GMC) aren’t confined or defined by our classrooms, laboratories and lecture halls. The passions and ideas ignited here spill out into the hallways, the courtyards, and the residence halls. They’re discussed on late nights around a fire or quietly considered next to the soft babbling of the Poultney River. We take our ideas to Main Street, we make unlikely allies that become close friends, and we always aspire to broaden our community. Inclusivity is second nature, and as a result, our lives here are vibrant, activities are engaging, and the connections that we make here are genuine and last a lifetime.
There are no walls here between the life of the mind, a drive to do good, and everyone’s need to have fun; these barriers were knocked down long ago.
To “connect” means so much more than plugging in and plugging away. It means jumping in; finding your people and living your passion. This comes easily when there are more than 30 clubs, activities and teams to partake in. From Ultimate Frisbee, The Wild Life Society, Model United Nations, and Drum Line a wide range of Athletics and outdoor adventure programs, life at GMC reads like a choose your own adventure novel. We spend countless hours exploring the miles of rivers, streams, and mountains beyond the campus boundaries, and in our hometown of Poultney, Vermont, we take sustainability projects to the next level, forging partnerships with our neighbors and instilling deep bonds within our community. We’re a small school that prides itself in offering big opportunities for you to connect classroom work with hands-on activities, like installing solar panels, working directly with area elementary students, driving oxen in our fields or delivering newborn lambs in the campus barns.
Coming Here is Coming Home
When you walk around campus, everyone knows you and acceptance is a given. Be your awesome, weird self and you can’t go wrong. There are no cliques, no judgments – welcome to what High School social life should have been.
Incoming students are warmly received by a campus of thinkers and doers with a shared interest in creating a stronger community and a better world, and it really matters – in many ways, coming here feels like coming home: everyone is part of the family at GMC. Step it up a notch and join one of our nine specialty living floors, where committed and passionate individuals with shared visions of sustainability, creative arts, activism, and other themes cook together, study together, and do everything they can to immerse themselves in what they love.
Wherever life leads, our students make the connection between classroom and world. Most of all, we get out, we have fun, and we do good.
Student Life Mission, Vision and Core Values
The Division of Student Life actively engages every student through integrated and intentional experiences that support and challenge them to flourish as global citizens who live their values with integrity and courage at Green Mountain College and beyond.
Through our people, programs, facilities, and services the Division of Student Life fosters personal growth and the development of essential capacities. We partner with students to celebrate successes, embrace vulnerabilities, surmount adversity, and together promote a culture of care that advances a community based in our shared values.
Our Core Values
Social Sustainability is at the heart of who we are and what we do. We embody social sustainability through these core values:
Fostering conscious relationships
- Investing in others is the foundation of a caring and empowered community. Intentional relationships centered in shared values, goals, and places are foundational to building healthy communities.
Challenging systems of oppression
- In building just and equitable communities we must challenge inequality and systems of oppression in our daily lives and work and stand with others who endeavor to do the same.
Encouraging ongoing journeys of discovery
- Recognizing that learning and growth can be uncomfortable, we promote the exploration of new ideas and experiences that inspire and challenge us as individuals and as a community.
Promoting a lifelong commitment to wellness
- The development of healthy connections to community, an understanding and respect for the physical and emotional self, and the pursuit of a balanced and fulfilling life are foundational to developing a personal sense of well-being.
Inspiring an ethos of stewardship
- Genuine social sustainability begins with a sense of personal responsibility and a leadership mindset that foster an individual’s commitment to positively impacting others and their community.