A reputation for excellence. A highly experienced and dedicated faculty. A learning environment sited on one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. There are many reasons to attend Green Mountain College.
With curriculum that is built on a framework of social, economic, and environmental sustainability, you will learn not only the practical skills you need for the workplace, but also how to live a purposeful life. 95 percent of graduates say they are doing work that they find meaningful. They are prepared for careers in today’s fastest-growing fields, including the green jobs sector. Our graduates do what they love, and the rewards follow.
At Green Mountain College, we blend the best of classroom theory with practical, hands-on experience. The result is a deeper kind of learning that gives you a leg up in the working world. Students and faculty work together on research projects that have real outcomes, like our design/build class, which built a solar garage that charges an electric tractor for use on the farm. Every student gets to vote on the next sustainability ideas to be implemented at the college. And, you’ll have opportunities for fieldwork at our student-run farm, an great internship sites like Greenpeace, Killington Ski Resort or the Office of Senator Bernie Sanders. It’s your world—and it’s “the real world,” long before you graduate.
Here, the classroom is more than a place to sit and take notes. It’s where you connect, engage, and collaborate with the world’s foremost sustainability experts—your professors. Beyond the classroom, you can expect to work and learn one on one with faculty. They get to know you here, and many become mentors for life. As you hone into your major and prepare for your future career, our Career, Advising and Teaching (CAT) Center will support you with internships, resume building support and practice with interviews.
The College has a well-deserved reputation as a leader in sustainability. When you become part of Green Mountain College, you join a legacy of achievement in sustainability studies and practices.
- The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) ranks the College’s curriculum #1 in the nation for sustainability.
- AASHE also ranks GMC as the #1 college in the nation for sustainability.
- Benchmarked against all 568 institutions participating in the 2013 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), GMC was well above the mean for the top 10% of schools in reflective and integrated learning, student-faculty interaction and high-impact educational practices.
- In 2017, GMC received the #2 ranking in Sierra magazine’s Cool Schools list, and has been ranked in the top 15 since 2009 (the only college in the nation to do so).
- GMC received a perfect “green rating” in the last four editions of Princeton Review’s Green Honor Roll. The guide ranked the top “green” schools in the country in 2015 for the first time, and GMC was rated second in the nation. In 2016 and 2017, GMC was ranked third.
- In 2015 Forbes named GMC one of the top “50 College Gems With Bargain Tuitions and SAT Optional Policies.”
- In 2011, GMC became a climate neutral campus through a strategic combination of efficiency, clean energy and local carbon offsets.