Do you have plans for Fall Break? Choose an alternative to long car rides and Netflix binges. Stay in Poultney! An alternative break is a service-learning opportunity for students to explore social issues through meaningful service, education, and reflection during their academic break. This fall, October 7-11, we are creating a community service coalition for Poultney to strengthen partnerships within our community in order to build a society of active citizens. Students may sign up for the entire break, or you may choose to join for individual service trips, including:
• Put the Poultney community garden to bed for the season with Claire Londagin.
• Gallery sit for Vermont Open Studio Weekend at Stone Valley Arts.
• Peruse the Town Wide Yard Sale for trinkets as you help vendors set up and clean up.
• Facilitate a Poultney Village version of GMC’s Common Unity Project in Slate Quarry Park.
• Glean with Farm Manager Simon and RAFFL Mary at Dutchess Farm in Castleton.
• Learn how to cook community meals together with local ingredients.
• Discuss social justice issues with peers and community members, forming solid friendships.
• Camp the night on the most beautiful mountain road in Vermont – Smokey House Center. Prep the field for winter, plant seed garlic, finish curing onions, shuffle food for late season farm shares, hike in the woods, post trail signs in advance of hunting season, and more.
Visit with Bianca outside the dining hall on Wednesday, 9/28, during lunch, and have all your questions answered. Sign up then, or email Bianca Zanella, email@example.com.